You want to write meaningfully about your life.
But you struggle with finding the time to devote to that kind of writing.
You want to express how you're feeling and why.
But you can't find a forum with women writers like you whom you can trust.
You want to feel supported by other writers.
It's hard to find a group of writers who understand your stage of your life.
- It's hard to prioritize yourself and your writing when your job, your family, and other commitments sometimes feel like they overwhelm you.
- You have a long to-do list, and your writing often doesn't get the attention you know it deserves.
- You know that consistency is critical to starting or recharging a writing practice, but that focus can feel impossible.
building or rebuilding a writing routine
trying to make progress on a writing project
feeling stuck because you lack ideas or focus
Since 2013 we've been building a community of midlife women who write. From all walks of life and all writing backgrounds.
At the start of the pandemic, we started leading small writing groups very different than the writing classes we usually teach.
We called these groups Small Steps in Uncertain Times.
In these groups, we post prompts and exercises as opportunities to inspire and get writing to flow. To try out a new writing strategy. To respond to a reading or a prompt. To explore a memory. To make sense of what you're feeling right then, in the world today.
Something incredible has happened over the past years. Each group formed its own tight-knit community of women learning and growing with each other. Some of these groups are still together, sharing their writing and lives.
Years later all of us are still living in uncertain times. Our midlife selves are still adapting and overwhelmed. It's more important than ever to share our stories.
"I found a great community of writers in this workshop. The group validated me as a writer and encouraged me to explore ever deeper into my truth. I've been talking about writing a book for a couple of years. This group helped push me from 'research' and 'learning-the-craft stage into actual writing stage."
KIM, WORKSHOP PARTICIPANT
"This was the first writing group (of any kind) I’ve participated in...and I found a place to find inspiration and motivation to get back in the groove of writing. "
EMILY, WRITING GROUP PARTICIPANT
I loved the intimate and supportive nature of this class and the bravery demonstrated by my fellow participant writers. Jessica and Stephanie's prompts challenged me creatively and also provided a space for inner reflection and personal healing." - Naomi, writing group participant
A Private Forum
Post your writing inside our private community, off of social media.
Inside the community, you can:
- Get feedback on your writing from your peers and us.
- Connect, message, and share posts.
- Ask questions about your writing practice, publishing, and any other area in which you need support.
Get three writing prompts, based on a weekly theme, delivered to your inbox.
Here's what you'll do next:
- Post your writing based on these prompts inside the private forum.
- Choose to respond to as many or as few prompts each week as you wish.
- Respond to other women's writing with encouragement and your ideas, as little or as much as you want.
Write Together Sessions
We'll offer three co-writing sessions over Zoom each week.
Here's what they're about:
- Tell us when you sign up what times and days work for you.
- We'll make sure that every writer can attend at least one session.
- Write together and share how your writing went.
Participate in writing goal challenges inside the forum.
Here's how the (optional) challenges will work:
- Post your personalized writing goals (if you choose) and your progress in reaching those goals.
- Get rewards (discounts and free books) for reaching those goals.
- Cheer each other on inside the challenge.
"Being accountable to a supportive group of writers got me out of my own way. With regular 'deadlines' and a limited time commitment, I was forced to put my perfectionist tendencies aside and just explore some different things happening in my life in a creative way. Each writer’s take on the same prompt was unique, and reassured me that every writer has something important to say. Even if it never leaves the privacy of this uniquely honest and encouraging group."
AMY, WRITING GROUP PARTICIPANT
"This is the perfect writing group for a writer like me - someone who craves writing but doesn't always have the time and/or discipline to sit and work. The group participants are warm, welcoming, encouraging and completely free of judgment. The prompts are accessible and inspirational, and Jessica encourages inclusivity and kindness - to each other and especially to ourselves!"
NICKI, WORKSHOP PARTICIPANT
3 writing prompts each week,
based on a weekly theme
Feedback on your writing
A private community platform and Zoom meetings for discussion and writing
We're Jessica and Stephanie.
Jessica Smock and Stephanie Sprenger are the co-founders and co-editors of the HerStories Project. We've published five essay collections for and by midlife women and led writing groups and courses for the past decade.
Learn more about us here.
- Natalie Goldberg
What happens when I sign up?
How do the prompts work?
How do I give and get feedback?
When are the Zoom meetings?
What if I get behind?
What is the refund policy?
...thrown into an opportunity to write, splay themselves raw with words and thoughts, and not think twice about doing so. How easily a group of like-minded creatives can come together with the right leadership, and a safe place. What a timely and important experience this has been for me." - Pam, writing group participant